Monday, February 9, 2009

Optimism in trial



     Life for the past month has been overwhelming for our family. But the feelings of uncertainty and the stress that came along with waiting has only strenthened our relationships. Here's how it happened.

     Mike had complained of aching to the top of his foot for the past 6 months. He quickly disregarded the pain, blaming it on increased activity from tennis and jogging. So, with what seemed as a harmless visit to a friend and neighbor, who also happened to be a podiatrist, Mike was diagnosed with a bone tumor about the size of a quarter to the top of his right foot. To our doctor, and another second opinion, it was characterized as rare and strange. Little did we understand how complicated this situation was to become.

     We discussed options: MRI, biopsy, possibility of cancer, and what would inevitably become surgery. For Mike the news was especially difficult. Later he confessed anxiety towards work, driving, family, and physical activity. In addition were emotions that came with the possibility of cancer. We prayed continually on how to proceed, we prayed for our doctor, and for optimism. Through it all, I found myself at peace knowing Mike would be okay.

     For a definitive diagnosis, we decided to biopsy before surgery. After the biopsy we planned on less than a week for results, which would then allow us to proceed with surgery. When we heard news the pathologist needed to send the sample to the Cleveland Clinic for further testing, we were frustrated. Mike was dependent on crutches, unable to drive, and I was overwhelmed with being solely responsible for our kids and everything that goes along with the cares of the home. We were blessed to be thought of by so many family and friends. It seems when we needed it most they were there to offer a place for the kids to play, for meals, and phone calls. And through all the waiting, and despite frustration, I found myslef with a calm feeling that it wasn't cancer as we waited for a diagnosis.

     Two weeks later we received a diagnosis of tenosynovitis giant celled tumor, benign. We made phone calls immediately to family and friends who were anxiously waiting for news. We prepared for surgery. The surgery needed now was to remove the tumor and strengthen the foot. Because the tumor was so large, and had destroyed three bones and one joint, the surgeon would have to fill the hole with cadaver bone. Our bodies replace bone material constantly... but until the "new" bone could fuse with Mike's bones, he would be non weight bearing for at least 8 weeks. I was worried recovery would be Mike's most challenging moment.

     Before surgery we were comforted by our surgeon. Being a member of our faith, he told us that he prayed before surgery and during surgery. We knew he had been guided to this moment. Feelings of emotion overwhelmed me as Mike was in surgery. I felt like we had waited so long to get to this point... everything had come to this final moment when recovery could begin. I was anxious for him and how hard this recovery would be. Being required to wear a boot and use crutches for 8 weeks, not being able to drive, pain, and I know he was worried about my stress of taking care of the kids... alone. Once again I found myself comforted by prayer.   I reflected on family and friends who had fasted and prayed for us, knowing our surgeon was also praying for us, being thankful Mike's tumor was benign, and that I loved him... and would stay optimistic for him.

     Surgery was one week ago and he is recovering well. His foot may be swollen, and his toes might not look like toes.... but he stays productive working from home. Through this experience my testimony has been strengthened in the power of prayer. I know the Savior is aware of our needs and that He answered our prayers, and the prayers of others.

10 comments:

The Hansen Clan said...

You have been such a great example to all of us with your positive attitude and unwavering faith. We love you guys and are so glad this part is over and that he will be OK. You are in our prayers!

jessica said...

What!!!!? No picture of the get well cake? I know that is what has gotten you this far...that and the handicapped sticker you get to hang in your car...LUCKY!

Seriously though...you have been so strong through all of this, your peace through this trial has rubbed off on those around you. Thanks for your example.

Ilene said...

I'm so happy Mike will be okay and the entire cadaver bone thing is just plain cool.

I had no idea you guys were going through all of this. I'm glad you had the peace you needed and I know you couldn't be anywhere better for support during this time.

Bethany said...

I think there is something to be said about silence in trial. You guys haven't complained a bit, which is admirable, but means you haven't gotten the help you deserve.

I'll come over and help you eat dinner any time you want!

corry-news.blogspot.com said...

Your feelings about this whole situation is truly a testimony to me that God is in charge and is there for us every step of the way. Gary and I love you all so much.

mom

Katy said...

We are so happy that the tumor is benign! I can only imagine how stressful this situation must have been. I'm so glad you were able to feel peace through out it all though. The power of prayer is amazing! Good luck with the recovery process. I wish you guys were closer so we could baby sit and help drive Mike around. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Michelle said...

Amy, I am so happy everything is O.K. I knew it would be. We are so sorry we are not closer to help. Mike is awesome he has stayed positive this whole time through.. You need to post a picture of that awesome foot...

Anonymous said...

Hi people

Nice to see good news about you!


Please keep touch with me!


Take good Care!

.....


Pedro Eustáquio : From Brazil:
pedromclins@yahoo.com.br
equiquero@hotmail.com ( MSN )

Kelli said...

WOW!! What a great post Amy. I too,am so glad that it is benign. Amy, you two are so awesome and I am so glad you held strong through faith and optimism. We will continie to pray for a speeding recovery. Isn't it amazing how the spirit touches you so deeply in circumstances like this? I am so grateful for the Lord and the comfort he has given you and Mike during this trying period. Again, we love you guys and are so glad everything went well!!

Elise said...

Thank you for sharing your story and testimony! Mike is a champ... and so are you for hanging tough through it all! We will also pray for a speedy recovery : ) XXXX, CESH