Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers

Being a mother is the total inspirational experience.  Not only do they greatly influence their children's lives through love, but now through experience, I can say that being a mother has gives spiritual inspiration.  I have been greatly blessed to have known many great mothers.


                                                 
My mother has always been there for me.  She has created so many wonderful memories and traditions: her great singing voice, working hard every day but always finding time to be with her children, camping at Willow Flats, shopping for prom dresses, helping with wedding plans, comforting my fears of motherhood, and so much more.  And although my teenage years may have been filled with a little rebellion towards parental advice, I never questioned the love she had for me.  I am so thankful for the relationship we now share, most importantly for her friendship.  Although we live far apart, I always go to her for comfort and guidance.  I cherish the time she spends with me and my children.  I love her for her thoughtfulness and sensitivity, although we give her a hard time about it sometimes.  It defines the reason I loved her through those teenage years, even if I was too proud to say so, and the reason I love her now.  Thank you for always being a wonderful example of motherly love. 


           
Growing up, I never knew how great of a mother I had.  I thought it was normal to have a hot breakfast everyday and a home-cooked dinner every night.  My mother's day would start at 5am and she would always prepare breakfast for us kids.  Then, should would start piano lessons at 5:30 and teach well after we had left for school.  My mom put up with a lot of the troubles I caused and handled them with relative calm.  I say relatively, because there were times when closet doors were pulled off their hinges and thrown about the room I shared with my brother Chris.  However, considering where I am in my life now, my mother accomplished the nearly impossible.  She was the only person who wrote me every single week while I was on my mission in Brazil.  My boys love spending time with her because of her wackiness and excitement.  I'm so blessed to have been raised in a loving family with and incredible mother.  The only regret that I think my mother has is that her sons didn't take to music like she would have liked them to.  I love you mom.
                               
I now have been blessed with the opportunity of being a mother to two wonderful boys.  I pray to become the mother they inspire me to be.  I hope to teach them about love, sensitivity, and kindness as my mother taught me.  I hope to welcome my son's wives as my own daughters, and to be an example to them as Liz is to me.  I have wonderful grandmothers, whom I love so very much, and one day I hope to be a grandmother like them.  I am so thankful to be a woman, wife, aunt, sister, and MOTHER.  
Happy Mother's Day to all the important women in my life.    
 

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Mike's blogging! Nice tribute, nice blonde hair.

Mick and Tiff said...

Amy- I don't think I have ever met your mom but she sounds wonderful. It is funny how different things are from teen years. I too rebelled and wasn't as nice as I should have been and now I live across the street from my mom and couln't imagine living anywhere else. I need her everyday.

Mike- I love your mom and it doesn't surprise me one bit to hear that she woke up at 5 AM to get you breakfast and start piano. She makes everyone feel comfortable and she is so dang funny. I love her guitar hero skills!

Happy Mother's Day Amy!

jessica said...

Very nice post. Too bad you couldn't post the picture of you in your old school church dresses. I'm glad you escaped from the compound.

So I believe I recall Mike saying that I would never catch him blogging...guess he has to take that back now. It shows his tender side, it's cute to see how much he loves his mom. AWWWWW....

Oh and I love you Amy! I can't imagine livin' this crazy life without you!

Katy said...

Your mom and Liz are both great. That was such a nice little tribute.

The Hansen Clan said...

What wonderful moms! Now I know how the two of you turned out to be so amazing. Great tribute - I want to meet your moms now :)

corry-news.blogspot.com said...

Oh my gosh!!!!I just opened this blog. That was so so nice of you Mike. It just makes me love you all the more. A tribute like that melts a mom's heart. Thanks so so much Mike and thanks to you Amy for making my son the person that he is. All my love
Mom